Akanu Ibiam Federal Polytechnic Unwana has a 2-year honours National Diploma where the 3rd year is the “attachment” year – ie, the student is required to spend 12 months at a relevant (to the course) ‘stakeholder’ company. Industrial attachment is a prescribed period of hands on work experience in a relevant industrial setting.
The industrial attachment is meant to provide practical skills to students and for them to appreciate the work in the industry before being fully employed after completing their studies. By going through this phase the industrial attachment period equips the student with handy realistic practical skills.
This means in the field there are quick to exert this expertise on any task. Lesser skills training time is needed to equip such persons. This means our graduate students are well prepared for the industry when they finish their studies.
- The idea behind attachments is to provide a platform for our students to understand the working background before they become fulltime in their professions. This appreciation provides a motivational element in our students to do their work proficiently to the benefit of their employers. The learning experience gained is invaluable to both the students and the industry.
- Experiences and ideas generated during this period are shared between the students and the company they are attached to. Students carry out their own researches by looking at problem areas in their working environment. The student’s will provide scientific support to match the profession expertise found in the industry.
- In an institutional context industrial attachments strengthen and support national policies and processes of development. This phase links the university curriculum to the national policies and processes.
- The philosophy of attachments is to provide technical exposure to the work/ job environment. Students will be trained in such a way that they can handle high organizational responsibilities, participate in all activities of the company for example attending meetings, seminars, conferences, planning, reception work, tea/ coffee making, workshop duties or any everyday jobs necessary for the smooth running of the company/ organization.
In the end students are able to carry out managerial and administrative responsibilities with minimal assistance or supervision. The students will be expected to describe all activities taking place in the organization.
This concept provides an opportunity for organizations to improve their problem areas by engaging students to carry out researches that provide solutions for any crisis. The benefits of this programme are two ways, the company gains scientific data and the student gains practical experience.
Industrial Attachment General Guidelines
1. Guidelines for Students
The student is subject to university regulations and the company regulations during the industrial attachment. The student is expected to:
- Conform to the company’s regulations, working time and discipline,
- Fulfill the supervisor’s instructions concerning the training process and carrying out of the industrial research project,
- Take part only with educational purpose in mind according to the ultimate instructions of the supervisor,
- Write a log book on daily basis and submit a report after finishing the training in given department or section,
- Keep good relations with all the staff of the company
2. Guidelines for the Company or Industrial Attachment Supervisor
- The student will be subject to the company’s regulations and is expected to function like a full time employee of the company.
- The company is requested to provide the student every opportunity to function like a full time employee of the company and permit him/her to actively participate in all aspects of the business including management and administration except were confidentiality constraints may not permit his/ her participation.
- Any other duties can be assigned by the supervisor as requested be it management or administrative work such as reception work, tea/ coffee making, workshop duties, giving assistance to company visitors or any daily morning chores necessary for the smooth running of the company.
- It is important that the company ensures that the student spends a better part of their time carrying out relevant activities linked to their programme of study.
- In the end the relations of the student and the company should be mutually beneficial to both parties.
- Wherever possible the company is requested to assist the student by providing welfare measures such as providing help in finding suitable accommodation close to the company and transport facilities.
In general these guidelines give good conduct to the student during industrial attachment. The relations are seen to affect the future of both the company and AIFPU.
Prospective companies for industrial attachment
Students can select either to be attached at a forest company/ institution or a wildlife company/ institution of their own choice.
|Forestry Sector||Wildlife Sector|
|Social forestry & Extension Services||National Parks
|Plantation/Commercial Forestry (Eastern Highlands)
||Private Wildlife Companies
|Indigenous forests (Matabeleland North Province)
||Natural History Museum